From: lwvleelanau <email@example.com>
Sent: Sun, Apr 1, 2018 8:07 am
Subject: LWVLC: Promote the Vote Forum April 4
On Wednesday April 4th , the LWV Leelanau County will host a public forum at noon at the Leelanau County Government Center entitled Promote the Vote—a project that secures our voting rights by putting them into the State Constitution. The same night at 7 pm, the LWV Grand Traverse Area will repeat the program at the Traverse Area District Library in Traverse City. The presenter, Sharon Dolente of the ACLU OF Michigan will explain Promote the Vote’s proposed amendment to Michigan’s Constitution—a common sense approach to safeguard our elections, put voters first, and remove barriers for working families.
In short, the Promote the Vote Proposal would:
· Protect the right to vote a secret ballot;
· Ensure military service members and overseas voters get their ballots in time for their votes to count;
· Provide voters with the option to vote straight party;
· Automatically register citizens to vote at the Secretary of State’s office unless the citizen declines;
· Allow a citizen to register to vote until 15 days before an election by mail or in person. After that, citizens may register to vote in person with proof of residency up to and on Election Day;
· Provide all registered voters access to an absentee ballot for any reason; and
· Ensure the accuracy and integrity of elections by auditing election results.
The League of Women Voters is a national, political organization that encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in their government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. The League is non-partisan and as an organization does not endorse or oppose candidates or political parties.